All Blacks Score World Record With 18th Consecutive Win

Publish Date
Saturday, 22 October 2016, 10:01PM


An outstanding final 20 minutes has helped the All Blacks to 37-10 victory over Australia and a world record 18th straight win.

The All Blacks held a tight 15-7 lead at halftime then ran away with the game after the 60 minute mark.

The All Blacks scored six tries with winger Julian Savea grabbing a double.

All Blacks captain Kieran Read says it was an incredibly tough test match but was pleased with the way they persisted throughout the whole game..

Hooker Dane Coles says it was a great effort from them to maintain pressure for the whole game.

The world champions looked below their peerless best at Eden Park, having barely a third of ball possession and almost 80 less passes than their trans-Tasman rivals.

But the Wallabies wasted numerous chances to put serious pressure on their opponents inside the 22, giving the Kiwis a straight-forward victory.

Wallabies coach Michael Cheika will also have much to complain about after a try to winger Henry Speight was controversially ruled out for obstruction.

The 27-point win means the All Blacks will prolong their 30-year winning streak against Australia at Eden Park, and head into their European tour in high spirits.

The All Blacks struck early, with fullback Ben Smith getting on the outside of Australian second-five Reece Hodge to put Israel Dagg in to score.

Prodigious centre Anton Lienert-Brown got his own five-pointer soon after when Speight went for an intercept and missed, allowing the Chiefs gun to stroll over.

Australia had a dominant 67 per cent of ball possession across the first half and several moments of enterprise but lacked killer instinct.

Their only joy came in the 28th minute when lock Rory Arnold clawed a try back, getting on the end of a Hodge line-break down the right.

However the Wallabies' resurgence didn't last long, with hooker TJ Perenara knocking down a Hodge kick in the 33rd minute to become the first Kiwi halfback to score in four consecutive Tests.

Star playmaker Beauden Barrett missed all three of his conversions, leaving the halftime score at 15-7.

A Foley penalty goal put the Wallabies within five points soon after the restart, before referee Nigel Owens controversially ruled out Speight's try for an obstruction on chasing defender Julian Savea.

Foley subsequently had a chance to put his side within two points but struck the post, before Savea collected a Smith grubber to go in under the posts.

The try gave Hansen's side a 12-point buffer over their rivals, from which they ran away with the contest.

A Cruden penalty goal pushed the margin to 15 in the 64th minute, before a rampaging Savea steamrolled his opposite number on the left flank to nab his second.

Hooker Dane Coles then produced a last-ditch tackle on Wallabies blindside Dean Mumm before popping up at the other end to complete the win.

via Radio Sport

Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you