The annual AA Insurance list of most frequently stolen cars has been revealed.
The Top 10 list is based on AA Insurance's own claims data, which also shows 92 per cent of theft claims for models in the top 10 list were for cars manufactured more than 10 years ago. The average value of a stolen vehicle claim from the top 10 list is $5,120.
AA Insurance tips for preventing car theft:
• Always lock your car, even when parking at home
• Keep all valuables and your car keys out of sight, including away from your front and back doors
• Where possible try to park in a garage, carport or off-street
• If you have to park on the street make sure your car is under a street light or in a well-lit area
• If in a car park then use an attended, secure parking building and park close to the entrance or exit
• Install visible security such as an alarm light, immobiliser or steering lock
• Know where your keys are at all times, and never leave them in your car, even at home. Thieves are now stealing car keys to access new vehicles with sophisticated modern security systems
• Be extra vigilant over weekends and during warmer weather when there are more thefts reported