Bomb Attack Was Planned At Germany Vs Holland Football Match

Publish Date
Wednesday, 18 November 2015, 8:57AM
Getty Images

Getty Images

A German police official has told local television that the football match between Germany and Holland was cancelled after information that a bomb attack was planned in the stadium.

Police spokewoman Stephanie Weiss said a suspicious object was found at the stadium. Police later opened the doors and fans started coming in, however the stadium was then evacuated and the game called off.

An Associated Press reporter was not allowed into the HDI-Arena about two and a half hours before the kick-off. Fans were also held back.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and several cabinet ministers had been expected to attend the match, four days after the terrorist attacks in Paris.

Germany was playing France in a friendly match during the Paris attacks.

The BBC has reported a second venue - a music arena - in the German city of Hanover has been evacuated due to a security alert.

The 14,000 capacity TUI Arena was due to host a concert by the band The Söhne Mannheims, the BBC reports.

Hanover police say they received a "concrete threat" about a bomb, German news agency DPA reports, citing police chief Volker Kluwe.

NZ Herald