Heath Ledger's Tragic Last Words Revealed
- Publish Date
- Thursday, 28 July 2016, 3:28PM
Heath Ledger’s father has revealed the tragic actor’s heartbreaking final words, before he died of an accidental overdose in his New York flat in 2008.
Kim Ledger said his son had been warned of the dangers of mixing medication the evening before by his sister Kate.
Kim tells news.com.au: “She told him, ‘You can’t mix drugs that you don’t know anything about. You shouldn’t mix what you’re taking for pneumonia with your ambien.’”
According to Kim, Heath reassured his sister, saying, “Katie, Katie, I’ll be fine.”
A day later, he was discovered dead in his flat, with his postmortem revealing he’d taken a combination oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine.
Kim, who campaigns for more awareness of the dangers of prescription medication, says his son had been stressed by the pressure of work and travel, remembering: “He was a young guy that travelled all the time for work. Even as a two-year-old, he hardly ever slept. He was trying to work and travel and do everything in a short space of time.”
Kim reflected on the lethal drug combination taken by his son, “It just put his whole system to sleep I guess.”
Heath left behind his daughter Matilda, who is being raised by her mother, actress Michelle Williams.
Kim has said they are leaving the decision to explain her father's death to Michelle.
Take your Radio, Podcasts and Music with you